Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Easy Decisions...Made Difficult...

First of all, I'd like to express how happy I am that this class experiment is going to result in potentially great increases in our originally abysmal grades.

Looking back at all the chaos, I realize that I handled the situation in a variety of ways. I competed to win (in a more passive way), in the sense that when I heard people making proposals that were just too complicated to be enforced I immediately disregarded their proposal, thus ensuring that it would not get a 100% consensus. I think the entire class, including myself participated as compromisers, especially on the 'extra credit writing assignment' agreement. There were many proposals being batted around concerning the essay section and it seems that we all compromised and even accommodated each other by settling for an extra credit assignment. We all also participated as collaborators in that our final agreements were settled upon due to the fact that we collaborated on what we wanted a our needs were and came up with the final arrangements.

In hindsight, I think the best way to have gotten the most out of this opportunity was to break up into groups. Once in groups, each group can come up with 3 or 4 proposals. Once every group comes together I'm sure we would have found that many of our needs and ideas were the same thus saving a  lot of time. Also when in little groups, it would have been easier to explain the arrangements to those who were not sure of what they meant. Not to mention, that if we were able to come to a decision first in smaller groups, in the end it would have been easier to come to a decision because it would be a negotiation between 5 groups rather than 60 individuals. 

2 comments:

  1. I think that we all participated in multiple ways, not just in a single way. It was so interesting to look back how we all were so intense and fierce. After all, it was about our grades, right? This experiment has taught us how to effecetive participate in decision making process and I am so glad that I was there to witness all that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That’s right, Collaborative method would be the solution, because trying to listen to so many students with even more ideas, the leader is running a risk of losing control over the situation.

    ReplyDelete